Re: Re: Dishwashers
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:56:01 -0700 (MST)
 > We have 40 households and a commercial dishwasher.  If we had two slower
> home-type dishwashers, the dishes would take a very long time to finish.

So what? We leave them for the next team. They are clean and dry and ready
to get used again. Unloading the dishwasher is just a part of setting the
tables. There is absolutely less work than if we had to load and unload a
washer several times per meal.

Forgive me, but this is the rationalization I was talking about. Commercial
washers are more work, and not accessible. No question in my mind, and
everything even the commercial supporters are saying reinforces my point.

Think how much time you would save only loading the dishwashers once! Your
system sounds cumbersome to me.

> Furthermore, if we had two dishwashers, we'd have to give up something else;
> there just isn't room for two dishwashers.

That can be designed in at the start, or retrofitted possibly. We gave up a
cabinet when we added the second one. No big deal.

> One thing that I wish we had is a handwashing sink.  Both of our sinks are in
> use during cleanup, and since I am a nurse and also had a food handler's
> class, I am always wanting to wash my hands between dirty and clean jobs.  As
> it is, I borrow the use of the pot washing sink several times.  Sometimes I
> can get someone else to take the clean jobs while I do the dirty ones, but
> usually it does not work out that way.  I do not want to let the dishwasher
> be idle (extends cleanup time),

See above!

>so I wash my hands and put the dishes away to
> make room for more.
>
> Nevertheless, we have four common meals most weeks, plus we just had a great
> Mardi Gras party in the Common House.  There is always something that is not
> quite ideal, but people manage to live with it and have fun besides.

This is true. It isn't the most important thing, but it could be a pain the
ass for many years to come and make people regret the decision, so I'm
advocating.

> Jan Ankney
> Sunward
> Ann Arbor, MI

Liz "I'm always right, dammit" Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, California
tamgoddess [at] attbi.com