Re: common house development processes
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:30:05 -0600 (MDT)
Creative envisioning is great, but remember that you have a financial
bottom line. You need to find the balance of what you want and what you
can afford. You don't want to spend all sorts of time envisioning an
office and three guest rooms, a craft studio, meditation studio, and
bungee jumping tower, if you really only have money for a basic dining
room and kitchen.

We hired Mary Kraus for a while and gave her our programming, and our
budget, hoping for a draft plan that would meet both.
She ended up presenting us with TWO draft floor plans, one that met our
programming, and one that matched our budget. They were very different.
This was useful, as we then examined in more concrete terms just what we
were willing to trim and do without, and what we were willing to up the
budget to include.

Consider too how you want to balance quality and quantity. We opted for a
smaller space, but with enough budget leeway to include more quality in
the finish. I'm really glad we have our Marmoleum flooring in the kid
room and kitchen, oak floor in dining room, built in vacuum system, and
such. Or you might go for more space, figuring you can continue to spend
money on finish and furnishing, over the years.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com
http://www.ptforpeace.info (very active peace movement here- see our