Kids and the Common House
From: Randy Sailer (rsailermac.com)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:33:02 -0600 (MDT)

We are about to start designing our common house and I wanted to get some thoughts/advice on how to include the children of the community in the process. There were relatively children in the community during the site design and through much of of the unit design, but as we have been filling up, we have many more children (like over 20 now).

My 6 year old son is very excited about the common house (I am not sure that it can look like a castle, though) and I bet other kids are as well. I especially think that some of the teenagers and pre-teens might be interested in thinking about their own space needs.

Our architect is willing and eager to work with the kids and we have a kindergarten teacher and an art therapist that are also into it. Any suggestions as to a fun process? Any advice? Any watch fors?

Thanks,

Randy

Rocky Hill Cohousing
Northampton, MA