Re: Consensus in cohousing
From: Alan Bleier (alanbecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:08:41 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Becky,

In the first neighborhood of the Ecovillage at Ithaca, consensus is still
in use after 6 years.

For minor decisions we have a "clipboard process".  Ideas are posted on a
clipboard for comments, then a proposal is drafted taking the comments
into account, then if two (I think) members sign to endorse it, a final
version is posted and eventually can be approved.  This gives everyone a
chance to be heard but meeting time does not have to be spent on it.

If you'd like more details, I can put you in touch with people who have
been here longer than I have.

We have 30 households in this neighborhood and the second neighbhorhoods
will have 30 when it's finished.  About 24 households are moved in there
right now.  They have their own decision making process.

For village-wide decisions we have a Village Association, which also makes
decisions by consensus.

Alan Bleier