RE: liability for employees (longish)
From: Sue Pniewski (SPniewskiHabijax.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:46:10 -0600 (MDT)
You are right Lynn- this is a sticky situation.
I suspect in most situations, it's better to be more
careful than less careful.
My firm does premise liability inspections for hotels and
resorts regularly.  You'd be amazed at what we find.
And these are the properties that have the DEEP pockets.
So I think you can't be too careful.
You might want to think about getting a premise liability
inspection done.  There are several firms that
specialize in this.  Really, it's kind an insurance.
It could let those of you worried about this premise liability
feel better.
Oftentimes the inspector will leave you with a packet of information on
employees, and invitees, as well as for residents, and often
they are willing to give a presentation.
I remember on resort we did, we gave a presentation on
how to minimize liability for an outside bar,
they had drunk people tottering around their pool, jacuzzi, and
their beach.  They habitually poured alcohol down the necks of
guests until some were far past the capacity to care for themselves.
Then someone fell and knocked out a tooth.  They thought
they were just helping them have fun and that
adults were responsible for taking care of themselves.
Wrong...
It's not too expensive to get a report done,
perhaps $1200-$1600 plus airfare, some charge a per diem,
but if you house them it would be less.  You may be
able to negotiate it down because you are a non profit.
You may also be able to negotiate a payment plan.
If that is too expensive, you should do some research
to be prepared, and set up an action plan in case of emergency.
All these things we have been discussing are just steps
towards limiting your liability, unfortunately,
in today's society, you're never 100% safe.
Best of Luck!

Susan Pniewski, Esq.
sue [at] firstcoastlaw.org