Re: improving group dynamics?
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:40:08 -0700 (MST)
I would definitely avoid the phrase "group thinking" when you are looking
for ways to improve decision making, since "groupthink" is a term in
psychology for a particular type of group decision-making -- one that is an
especial danger to consensus-based groups.  On the other hand, I would say
that learning to recognize groupthink is a very good idea.

>From http://twist.lib.uiowa.edu/36011/groupthink.htm:
Definition of Groupthink
A. Groupthink is the tendency to place relational concerns of group unity
ahead of task concern for effective performance.
B. Groupthink manifests itself in the tendency of a group to seek unanimous
agreement at the expense of careful, thorough, and critical analysis of the
information, ideas, proposals, and reasoning upon which a consequential
decision rests.
Symptoms (Indicators) of "Groupthink"
A. Illusion of invulnerability -- we are incapable of being wrong
B. Rationalization -- the ends justifies the means
C. Inherent morality -- what we're doing is best for everyone
D. Stereotypical thinking -- employ preconceived notions in evaluating
information
E. Close-mindedness -- ignore information that does not confirm or support
the prevailing opinions of group members
F. Mind guards -- group members who take it upon themselves to protect the
group from information that contradicts prevailing opinion
G. Pressure on dissenters -- group members aggressive "go after" colleagues
who disagree with the general sentiments of the group
H. Self-censorship -- group members willingly refrain from voicing
opposition to the prevailing sentiments of the group
I. Illusion of unanimity -- the belief that silence is an indication of
agreement
[end quote]

In analyzing various major policy disasters, one frequently finds groupthink
was occurring.  A traditional example is the Bay of Pigs invasion -- a more
recent one is Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Kay