Re: Re: [C-L] improving group dynamics?
From: Saoirse (ccharisearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:15:15 -0700 (MST)
On 11/24/03 1:45 AM, "Tree Bressen" <tree [at] ic.org> wrote:

> I do personally believe that simply living in community together will, over
> time, in general, move people in a direction of more group
> consciousness.  Many of the people who live in community over the long haul
> tend to be generous, thoughtful, gracious, humble souls and excellent
> listeners, and i think that's partly because the form itself influences
> people in that direction just like putting autos on the perimeter and paths
> in the middle influences pedestrian interaction in a built cohousing project.

I was very interested in Tree's comment, as I just returned from an extended
visit to Ireland and found the people there -- who have lived in towns and
villages all radiating out from a "town center" and whose social structure
was strongly oriented toward community -- seem to have an extraordinary
capacity for listening well. At least, that was my experience. Time and
money have eroded their social patterns and they are struggling to respond.
But their ability to understand and perceive the message underlying my words
was remarkable.

Saoirse
(whose name means "freedom" in Irish

--
I want to free what waits within me ?
May what I do flow from me like a river,

                        ? Rainer Maria Rilke