--- Sociocracy Workshop Update ---
From: Nathan Brown (Nathanimailbox.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 11:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

For those of you interested in learning more about Sociocracy, we only
have 7 slots left at our Sociocracy Workshop that will be taking place
on May 8th and 9th at Takoma Village, so please contact me ASAP if
you are interested  in attending.

I have also included the information about the workshop below, in case
you want to read about it.

Adios,

Nathan Brown

-----------------

Is consensus bogging you down?  Maybe it¹s not consensus but the
organizational structure underlying your process that needs a tune up.

Maybe we can help!

The Mid-Atlantic Chapter of CohoUS  (MAC) is sponsoring a two -day workshop
on Sociocracy Saturday and Sunday May 8-9 at Takoma Village Cohousing in
Washington, DC.  The workshop will be led by John Buck, a certified trainer
and expert in this method.

Sociocracy is the only organizational model based on consent
decision-making. By rejecting majority vote, most organizations have also
rejected parliamentary procedure. Throwing the baby out with the bath water
leaves them with, at best, a cumbersome all or nothing decision threshold
but no theoretical or practical structure to support it. Sociocracy provides
the missing structure.

In sociocratically­structured organizations, policy decisions, those that
determine operational decisions, are made in circles or roundtables while
the highly efficient "chain of command" structure is used for completing and tracking tasks. In distinction to the hierarchical structure where policy is
established "at the top" and tasks are competed at the "bottom", Sociocracy
involves all members of the organization in the policy decisions that affect
them.

The workshop will cover the four essential principles of sociocratic circle
organization, the cybernetic theories on which they are based, and how the
model works in practice using specific cohousing examples.

Saturday will be devoted to learning the underpinnings and theory of
Sociocracy and will be structured to give those who can only spend one day
all the basic information about Sociocracy. Sunday will be structured as a
practical hands-on day putting theory into practice.

The cost of the workshop is $50.00 per person for MAC member communities and
$75 per person for non-member communities. There is also a materials fee of
$15.00. Size of our Common House limits us to 30 participants ­ FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED. The workshop and material fees are the same whether you attend
one or both days. Brown bag lunch. We will provide coffee, tea.

An optional group dinner will be planned for Saturday evening where we can
further share ideas. Dinner NOT included as part of the weekend¹s fees.

PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW AND INCLUDE IT WITH YOUR CHECK PAYABLE TO:
TCN-MAC.  SEND TO: Sharon Villines, #213, 6827 4th St. NW, Washington, DC
20012-1945. Once we receive your check you will be sent confirmation and
directions to Takoma Village.  No reservation(s) without a check and form
and NO REFUNDS.

Editorial:  this workshop is one of a series of workshops and programs that
MAC provides as direct services to MAC members and, whenever  possible, the
larger cohousing family of communities.  MAC, a chartered regional chapter
of The Cohousing Association of the United States, is currently sponsoring a
Facilitator Mentoring program, a Facilitator Pool (communities can exchange
facilitators for meetings using the pool) a Spring Cohousing Tour and is
planning a regional workshop/conference for 2004/05. For the Sociocracy
workshop, MAC is underwriting half of the cost of the weekend. Check us out
at www.cohomac.org <http://www.cohomac.org/> .

MAC member communities are:  Blueberry Hill, Chesapeake, Eastern Village,
Eco Village of Loudoun Co., Eno Commons, Liberty Village, Proximity, Shadow
Lake Village, Takoma Village, and Wheatland.

Please fill out one form for EACH participant. CHECK PAYABLE TO:  TCN-MAC.
(We¹re changing our checking account name after the workshop!)

SEND TO: Sharon Villines, #213, 6827 4th St. NW, Washington, DC 20012-1945.
Once we receive your check you will be sent confirmation and directions to
Takoma Village. Info:  sharon [at] sharonvillines.com

Name:

Address:

Day Phone:

Eve Phone:

Email: REQUIRED:

Will attend Saturday:

Will attend Sunday:

Member rate: $50.00 workshop + $15.00 materials fee = $65.00
Non Member rate:  $75.00 workshop + $15.00 materials fee = $90.00

We look forward to seeing you May 8-9 at Takoma Village!

Ann Zabaldo
MAC CohoUS
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

--end--