Re: Choosing Colors
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 3 May 2004, Elizabeth Stevenson wrote:

> Oh, Matt, you don't live in cohousing, do you?

No, I don't.

> Sorry, that was a wee bit condescending! It's just that painting 25 or more
> units is incredibly time-consuming and a complete impossibility for a
> community full of people with day jobs. In the time it would take me to
> paint my house, a contractor could paint 5 houses or more, and do it better.
> It just doesn't make sense.

Why?  Why can a contractor do it faster?  Better equipment?  If so,
splitting the cost of the equipment 25 ways can make it quite affordable.
Or can the contractor do it faster by doing less?  Spraying one colour is
fast.  However, the day labour sometimes does really crappy work.

> Also, we have two-storey houses, and it would involve a significant risk
> that many homeowners are not willing to take. And what about the people who
> aren't physically capable of doing it? Do they have to pay more, just
> because they are disabled? We're not talking about each homeowner-painter
> doing one house, we're talking more like two houses. It's completely
> unworkable. The only instance that it would make sense for homeowners to DIY
> would be lot development models.

So?  Not everybody needs to work on the second floor.  I'd be perfectly
willing to, particularly with good equipment.  It wouldn't take the entire
community to do the painting.

It sounds to me like you've got a community full of people who don't want
to get their hands dirty doing work in the building trades.  That's a
valid way to live, bu not really what I'm interested in.

-- Matt
The American Non-Sequiteur Society:  We may not make sense, but we do like
pizza.