RE: shared work agreements in cohousing communities
From: Kay (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
> ... I may kick in
50 hours one month and 3 for the next two.
> Anybody else in this boat? > Jessie Handforth Kome

My community workload averages 12 hrs/mo, but the numbers behind that
fluctuate seasonally, 30+/month in spring, ~8/mo summer, ~20/mo fall, and
~3/mo winter, with occasional extremes of 50+ or zero, depending on weather
and day length, my energy levels or obsession du jour.  [This doesn't
include +/- 6 h/mo of meetings.]  I think many gardeners would follow a
similar pattern, although with more moderate swings in gentler climates.

Wasatch Commons doesn't track community work hours, but I suspect my average
is on the high side for us.  Some jobs are assigned on a per-task basis;
others are done by whoever feels like it -- or can't stand the mess anymore.
We tried assigning out landscaping maintenance last year; so far that isn't
working notably well.

Kay