Re: Frustration in Forming Community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:26:38 -0700 (PDT)

On May 26, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Rob Sandelin wrote:

There is sometimes TOO much planning, etc involved in getting started. Might be easier to find a big house to rent, then invite people to cohabitat with as a starting place. In this way you will have direct experience with community life to work from, and also will filter in and filter out people who you align with. The whole, lets all expend huge risk, buy land and build houses approach, only works for a very small number of people.

I missed the first post so I may be responding to the wrong issue but for most people interested in cohousing, this would not be a good test. Many if not most people who would be very happy living in cohousing would be miserable in a big house full of people. Cohousers are generally interested in private living within a larger community. They want to share lives but not bathrooms. I adore living alone but living alone with a lot of other people is ideal for me.

It is certainly a drawback that cohousing requires real estate development. Some intermediate steps might be helpful -- moving closer to households who are interested in more sharing and/or working more closely with present neighbors to form neighbornets. While the commonhouse is important it doesn't have magical qualities and brings lots of work and expense along with it. Just setting up a communication system amongst a group of people and beginning to share errands, holidays, childcare, etc. can build many of the advantages of a cohousing community.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC