Re: question about membership/participation agreements
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:45:47 -0700 (PDT)

The reason for the language in the note after the heading is that we cannot require a a condo owner here to agree to something like this. A group at any stage of the development process--when it is still an LLC or a development partner-- could 'require" that prospects sign this agreement well before move-in, even as a condition of membership.

Joani Blank
Swan's Market
Oakland, CA

Swan's Market Cohousing Participation Agreement

[Note:  Signing this agreement is voluntary, and it is not legally binding]

I live (or plan to live) in the Swan's Market Cohousing community. I am aware of the nature, goals, character and history of Swan's Market Cohousing and I intend to maintain and enhance its sense of community and cooperation.

If I lease or sell my unit, my tenant(s) or buyer(s) will be offered an orientation and encouraged to sign this participation agreement. I support the Community's aim of cooperative living; I agree to participate in activities of the Community on a regular basis, as follows:

1. Management of our community through the Homeowners Association. I will play an ongoing role in the Association (and, if an owner, I will serve on the Board of Directors). I understand that if I want to have a say in the decision-making process, it is my responsibility to participate in Association meetings.

2. Preparation of common meals. I understand that every adult resident (18 or older) shares equally in the preparation and/or clean-up of common meals on a rotating basis. I intend to do my share, regardless of how frequently I sign up to eat those meals.

3. Maintenance and improvement of the community property. Swan's Market cohousing self-manages and maintains its property. In order to keep it in the best condition possible, I agree to do my share of the ongoing maintenance of the common areas