re:ithaca eco-villiage car-share
From: Duncan Cavens (cavensnsl.ethz.ch)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:41:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi Daniel,

Vancouver has a very successful car-sharing system (I think it was the first english speaking car co-op worldwide)- the founder is also very helpful and active in promoting car sharing across North America. (Up in Roberts Creek, we've been toying with asking them to park a car near our cohousing community, as it will make administration/insurance issues much simpler.) see http://www.cooperativeauto.net/

Over here in Switzerland, where we're located temporarily, there is an amazing car sharing system called mobility (http://www.mobility.ch) I think you need to be able to read German or French to wade through the site. It's probably a bit high tech for your needs, but it's a great example of a country-wide system that works amazingly, with 1700 cars available to members (I think that the Vancouver car co-op has about 90 vehicles.)

d.