Cohousing Anthology (Finally) On the Way!
From: Dave Wann (davewanncomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:04:15 -0800 (PST)
Hello fellow cohousers,

The book written by cohousers that has been evolving for the last few years
and that was delayed in publication is now firmly on the publisher's
schedule for fall, 2005. You know it's real when they start talking about
putting it in the catalog.

The remaining month or so before they need the new & improved final
manuscript gives us an opportunity to collect a few more remarkable photos
and maybe even a few stories. (If there's a great story about the experience
of building a senior cohousing community, that would be interesting.) Has
anyone taken some great photographs in the past year that I haven't seen?

Still looking for a good, catchy title. "Reinventing Community: Stories from
Cohousing" seems a bit dry, but says what it means. I like a slightly more
askew title like "Neighborhoods on Purpose: Stories from Cohousing," and
find the idea of "We Did it Ourselves: Stories from Cohousing" appealing,
because pre-occupancy involvement is one of the elements that really makes
cohousing unique. Someone suggested a more colorful title that I also like:
"Yes, We Have Our Own Kitchens: Stroes from Cohousing," but is this too much
of an inside joke? Please let me know what you think. I'd like this book to
be "of the people, by the people, and for the people." (I think Abe Lincoln
may have thought cohousing is a good idea).

Thanks to the contributors for your patience. Some of the stories have
already appeared in Communities, in webzines and elsewhere, but this will be
the full, unadulterated collection, complete with editorial
traffic-directing by me. I hope it helps us explain what cohousing is and
why it's definitely worth the work!

Cheers,
Dave Wann,
also coauthor of "Superbia! 31 Ways to Create Sustainable Neighborhoods",
and "Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic"