Listserv notes: Ref docs / long lines in archives
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:53:35 -0800 (PST)
I've modified the cohousing-L Info page to have a link to a new page:
"Links to files and web pages mentioned on Cohousing-L"
(There's a link to the Info page at the bottom of every message
Cohousing-L distributes.)

Mostly the new page has links to documents that are actually in the new
Cohousing-L
related directory: http://L.cohousing.org/ I did put a link to the page
that Tree just mentioned. Currently I'm the only one who can post
documents to the L.cohousing.org directory but maybe I'll work out a way
for others to put things there. This is to help with giving access to a
longer and non-text documents.  Cohousing-L does not distribute
attachements.

Note that it is still preferable to have documents on a site where the
owner can maintain them but it seems that many people still do not have or
know how to do this and hence this alternative.  If you have a document
related to a cohousing topic that you want people to have access to and no
place to put it sned me a note off list.

Note that I strongly discourage documents in Microsoft Word format
since they are non standard despite MS's near monopoly.  In order of
preference: html , text (large documents) , pdf , cvs (spreadsheet etc)

LONG LINES IN ARCHIVES PROBLEM
I've become aware that there have been a significant number of messages in
the cohousing-L archives that have very long lines requiring horizontal
scrolling.  This is due to some combination of message format and
Mhonarc (software that creates archives) feature / configuration.
I've started a web page to document / explore the problem.  If you are so
inclined, particularly if you have relevant expertise, please take a look
at it.  Suggestions welcome.  It's at:  http://L.cohousing.org/longline.htm

(There is a link to it on the page mentioned above.)

I am pondering cohousing-L FAQ file at long last...  Stay tuned.

Note that the above changes were made after I moved all my web pages -
cohousing and otherwise.  If you have links to any files that have
"fholson" in the url (at freenet, tcfreenet or mtn) , they have moved,
please update links to them. Note that some old files have been changed to
link to the new (for a year or so?) and some are still there for now but
will not be maintained.

BTW I am now using a program called "rsync" (Unix/Linux) that makes it
very easy to update files at my web server.  (It determines differences
between my local copy and the copy on the server and only sends the
differences -- very quickly.) This should allow me to keep web pages
maintained much better.

Fred, listserv manager

Communications for Justice - My year old listserv org.  UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)