Disney area property may be available for cohousing - Any takers?
From: Dave Finnigan (davefinniganyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:40:10 -0800 (PST)
Central Florida Cohousing has decided to break into two planning groups, Country Mice who want to build in open land outside the metro area of Orlando, and City Mice who want to retrofit in downtown Orlando. The country mice have found a piece of rural property that is actually part of a 350 acre parcel, smack up against Disney property along County Road 545, also known as Avalon Road, 4 miles north of US 192 and a mile south of Orange County National Golf Club. This road is going to be 4 lanes in 2006. A new entrance to Disney will be built going from a new Tollway, Rte 429, which skirts the property. Both the tollway and the new gate will be finished by the end of 2005. The owner wants $85,000 to $100,000 per acre for this property. Property along US 192 sells for $600,000 to $1,000,000 per acre. We live in Celebration, a nearby town built by Disney, and lots sell here for $200-300,000 for a 1/4 acre. My question is really part of a search for more substantial help from the co-housing community. Are there readers of this list-serve who are ready to commit to a "snow bird" cohousing community right next to Disney? Are there people with money within our network who could help with financing such a project? What I think we need in order to house 30 families is about 12 - 14 acres, or a committment of $100,000 each from 12 or 14 individuals, or $200,000 each from 7. Can that be done? It could be a very exciting project. Any ideas would be appreciated, asides from flames against Disney or against the obviously high end nature of this project. We would hope to include people of all sorts in the project. In our group so far we have Haitian, American Indian, Filipino, Korean, a double amputee, a young man with cerebral palsy and a downs syndrome adult. We have a spectrum of occupations, religions and family types, with lots of kids. Join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/centralfloridacohousing/ to stay abreast of our development and if you want the whole group to hear your voice, send us a message.

Dave Finnigan
Facilitator
407-566-0381