Re: peak oil preparations?
From: TandemWriters (TandemWritersaol.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
In a message dated 4/9/2005 11:02:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hartley_jennifer [at] yahoo.com writes:

I was  just wondering what you all may have been doing to prepare for peak
oil, or  rather, life after the oil crash.  I guess I should first ask, do you
believe this is going to happen?  I have been reading and hearing some
convincing arguments (such as Richard Heinberg's book "The Party's Over," the
film
"The End of Suburbia," as well as websites such as
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net).  If you do believe we are in for  rough
times in the
not-so-distant future, how are you as individuals and as  communities preparing?
I can say that I have serious mixed emotions about the  "oil" crisis.  It
seems more of a crisis of values.  If you have your  money in oil stocks then
you
probably are elated that prices are going through  the roof.  Other people
are paying for your gas.  If you are poor then  your budget becomes a serious
survival issue.  Unfortunately Americans are  DRIVEN by fear of consequences.(
and perhaps the rest of the planet...they just  seem to respond more quickly)
So we are content to allow car makers to  provide gas guzzling SUV's equipped
for climbing Mount Everest to be used to  bring home the groceries.  I'm in
south Florida at present.  It's very  flat here.  And very little off road
opportunity except for canals. (BTW  SUV's don't float very well)  The one
importa
nt issue for me is that maybe,  just maybe funding will begin to swell for
sustainable resources...wind, solar,  hybrids, recycling and sustainable
farming
and forestry.  This last six  years have been a wake up call for Americans and
so far it doesn't seem to me  that people have even pulled off the covers.

I  am trying to get over the shock of realizing that life as we know it may
be  drastically changed in a very short span of time.  Have others out there
also gone through some difficulty in coping with the thought of peak oil, and
if  so, how have you managed this mental and emotional upheaval?

It has been a shock, but I think it's possible that  America will benefit
from this era.  It will be difficult as long as  resistance to the change is at
the forefront of your daily activities.   This situation could bring on
depression and anger.  Stay flexible, bob and  weave as life begins to turn up
the
heat here in the next twelve months.   As much as we don't want to face the
world, the world is at our door  step and won't be ignored.  American is
somewhere
around five percent of  the worlds population and some 15 years ago we
consumed 40% of the world's  resources and we said "be like us" and "share the
other
60% you other 95 % of  the world."  This is now coming home to roost.  How we
respond is  vital to our emotional health ( and physical health). It is
difficult to  imagine over the next ten years the amount of resources that the
Chinese middle  class will consume. It's not the end of the world...just the
world
as we  have known it. And I for one believe we will be better for  it.

One reassuring thought that I've been clinging to with all my might  is the
knowledge that living in cohousing, or any type of intentional community,
would be a huge mitigating factor.  My husband and I will be moving into  our
brand new community in September (first move-ins will start next  month).

Congratulations.  I'm convinced that having  community is a huge mitigating
factor.  It seems to me that having fifty or  sixty people working together on
an issue is far superior to being an isolated  family in the burbs feeling
completely alone in their fight to survive.  I  think you've made an excellent
decision.  Have fun.  We are presently  waiting to move into Sharingwood in
Snohomish, WA. and I can't wait for  the drive up to the house.  Lots of love
and
laughter coming your  way.
Dana

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback  you may be able to provide.

Jennifer Hartley
Rocky Hill  Cohousing
Northampton, Massachusetts