|Re: peak oil preparations?||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: TandemWriters (TandemWritersaol.com)|
|Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:44:23 -0700 (PDT)|
In a message dated 4/9/2005 11:02:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, hartley_jennifer [at] yahoo.com writes: I was just wondering what you all may have been doing to prepare for peak oil, or rather, life after the oil crash. I guess I should first ask, do you believe this is going to happen? I have been reading and hearing some convincing arguments (such as Richard Heinberg's book "The Party's Over," the film "The End of Suburbia," as well as websites such as http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net). If you do believe we are in for rough times in the not-so-distant future, how are you as individuals and as communities preparing? I can say that I have serious mixed emotions about the "oil" crisis. It seems more of a crisis of values. If you have your money in oil stocks then you probably are elated that prices are going through the roof. Other people are paying for your gas. If you are poor then your budget becomes a serious survival issue. Unfortunately Americans are DRIVEN by fear of consequences.( and perhaps the rest of the planet...they just seem to respond more quickly) So we are content to allow car makers to provide gas guzzling SUV's equipped for climbing Mount Everest to be used to bring home the groceries. I'm in south Florida at present. It's very flat here. And very little off road opportunity except for canals. (BTW SUV's don't float very well) The one importa nt issue for me is that maybe, just maybe funding will begin to swell for sustainable resources...wind, solar, hybrids, recycling and sustainable farming and forestry. This last six years have been a wake up call for Americans and so far it doesn't seem to me that people have even pulled off the covers. I am trying to get over the shock of realizing that life as we know it may be drastically changed in a very short span of time. Have others out there also gone through some difficulty in coping with the thought of peak oil, and if so, how have you managed this mental and emotional upheaval? It has been a shock, but I think it's possible that America will benefit from this era. It will be difficult as long as resistance to the change is at the forefront of your daily activities. This situation could bring on depression and anger. Stay flexible, bob and weave as life begins to turn up the heat here in the next twelve months. As much as we don't want to face the world, the world is at our door step and won't be ignored. American is somewhere around five percent of the worlds population and some 15 years ago we consumed 40% of the world's resources and we said "be like us" and "share the other 60% you other 95 % of the world." This is now coming home to roost. How we respond is vital to our emotional health ( and physical health). It is difficult to imagine over the next ten years the amount of resources that the Chinese middle class will consume. It's not the end of the world...just the world as we have known it. And I for one believe we will be better for it. One reassuring thought that I've been clinging to with all my might is the knowledge that living in cohousing, or any type of intentional community, would be a huge mitigating factor. My husband and I will be moving into our brand new community in September (first move-ins will start next month). Congratulations. I'm convinced that having community is a huge mitigating factor. It seems to me that having fifty or sixty people working together on an issue is far superior to being an isolated family in the burbs feeling completely alone in their fight to survive. I think you've made an excellent decision. Have fun. We are presently waiting to move into Sharingwood in Snohomish, WA. and I can't wait for the drive up to the house. Lots of love and laughter coming your way. Dana Thanks for any thoughts or feedback you may be able to provide. Jennifer Hartley Rocky Hill Cohousing Northampton, Massachusetts
- Re: peak oil preparations?, (continued)
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.