Re: Limited Common Elements and HOA Dues
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ann -

I think the CAI (condo association) folk had something on this a couple
years back.  Stan Serson, the guy who was EVC's construction advocate  and a
big
CAI stalwart, might have some ideas.

My recollection is that the mainstream professional way to handle dues for
limited common elements (LCEs) such as balconies is to get the company that
estimates your replacement reserves to break out a separate reserve estimate
for
 the balconies, and then allot most of that cost to the owners who have
access to  the element. The remainder of the cost is covered by the community
as a
whole,  and is used for the portion of the element that structurally links in
to the  overall building.  For an on-ground patio, I think the entire
replacement  amount can be allotted to the owners involved.

For some LCE's, the owner can be held responsible for interior maintenance
and the condo association for exterior and structural maintenance, akin to the
responsibilities involved in maintaining the personal living space.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
Where