Keeping Cats from Killing Birds
From: Evdavwes (Evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:47:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, Cohousing members,

At Westwood cohousing (_www.westwoodcohousing.com_
(http://www.westwoodcohousing.com) ) we are  considering requiring all outdoor
cats (or at least those
who are known to be  successful hunters of birds) to wear some device that
stops them from killing  birds, such as the catbib
(_http://www.catgoods.com/csprodinfo.html_
(http://www.catgoods.com/csprodinfo.html) ).   Alternatively, we
might require all future cats in the community to be indoor  cats.

The point of these proposals is to reduce the effect of cats on the  wildlife
population, especially birds.  See for further information the  Audubon
Society's Cats Indoors program (_http://www.audubon.org/bird/cat/_
(http://www.audubon.org/bird/cat/) ).

We hear that collars with bells are not very effective at preventing avian
carnage.

Do any other communities have policies that address these issues?   Does
anyone have experience with the catbib or other products that could make an
outdoor cat a less effective hunter?

I have just put a bib on Gertie, one of our two cats.  She is a  bit
perturbed as yet, to say the least.  She is not a successful hunter  anymore.
This is
just a trial run.

Best to you all,

David

David Clements, Evan  Richardson, Wesley Clements, Lila Richardson
43 Vermont Court,  #G24
Asheville, NC 28806
828-285-0601