Re: cordless phone, answering machine in the common house?
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:27:01 -0800 (PST)
On Nov 5, 2005, sarito wrote:
Searching the archives, I see a lot of support for having a phone in the CH.
Do any of you have experience pro or con of having a cordless phone as
the common house phone, and of having it take messages or not?

The responses to this post have really surprised me. We've never had a phone in the common house and never really missed having one. If someone expects to need to take a call or make a call, they bring their cell phone (or even their cordless handset) to the CH with them. I can't imagine having a general community phone number -- "Is Sarah there?" "I think she's at her house. Let me go check." I just can't picture that.

Any community business happens between some individual member and the outsider. For example, the bank knows to call Mary or Brian. Again, I can't imagine them calling a general community number and having the person that answers in the common house be of any use.

Strange how different my perspective here . . . . . .

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
         -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery