RE: Possible cohousing financial crime spree
From: Eris Weaver (eriswsonic.net)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:15:46 -0800 (PST)
> (Personal observation: I am mystified as to why they would
> target cohousing communities. If I wanted to operate
> financial scams, cohousing is the LAST place I would go. Too
> many smart, informed residents, and they all talk to each
> other.

And we are friendly, outgoing, trusting, and talk to people. We put all
kinds of information about ourselves in public places, including bios
with our kids names and pictures on our websites.

I realize I have a criminal mind; if I wanted an easy mark for all sorts
of things, cohousing would be it!

It would be very easy for someone to walk into our common house, make
off with the recycle bin that is in the mail area, and find lots of
identifying info. Plus, some of our members leave their mailbox keys in
their slots! So it would be VERY easy for someone to make off with
fodder for identity theft. There is info on bulletin boards about who is
on vacation, and when we will have big events in the common house
(meaning unoccupied apartments).

We've had break-ins, stolen cars & bicycles, and petty theft. Some
people still leave their doors unlocked or don't properly lock the gates
and sheds. Some of our members are still hesitant to confront strangers
walking through the property. The police say we're known as an easy mark
for theft because we leave too much stuff unsecured.

Just the other day I saw somebody walking around the property in a hard
hat and reflective vest with a clipboard. I was on my way out so I
didn't talk to him; mentioned it to my friend who said,"oh, must be
doing some work." Well, I also happen to own a similar hard hat and
vest, now wouldn't that be a great costume for casing a place?

Eris Weaver                 erisw [at] sonic.net
FrogSong
Cotati, CA

"The cure for anything is saltwater -
sweat, tears, or the sea."