Nuclear family, cohousing, NEL
From: Paula Gilmour (paulabellcoho.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:08:12 -0800 (PST)
A possible reading of interest:

Scanzoni, John.  2000.  Designing Families: The Search for Self and
Community in the Information Age.  Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press.

This book includes a chapter on cohousing and refers to cohousing
periodically in other chapters.  The book outlines one scholar/sociologist's
view on what is the next step beyond cohousing in terms of family and
community.  The author expresses a lot of admiration for cohousing.
However, he also frequently uses "tortuous" and other related synonyms to
describe cohousers' efforts to balance individual freedoms with
responsibility to the group.  (I totally know what he is referring to when
he talks about the struggle to balance these two.  Although, seeing tortuous
in text to describe the cohousing experience makes me pause.  This is just a
small thing and not the focus of the book).  If you are interested in
thought on where cohousing sits in a historical context and proposed future
trajectory for family evolution and reform, you may find this book worth
reading.

Paula Gilmour