Urban Mixed Use Development
From: Regan Conley (reganconleyearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:30:49 -0800 (PST)
I'm part of a forming urban cohousing group in Washington, D.C. Someone in our group suggested we considering partnering with a company that owns about 3/4 of a city block and is going to be rebuilding on it. It's a grocery store and the store wants to essentially build a new multi-level building with grocery at the street level and housing above. It's a pretty spendy neighborhood, but some neighborhood officials are encouraging them to do something for moderate income people (one of our cohousing targets).

This is just one location, but we are looking at very densely built up urban areas, so it might come up in other places. Setting aside the cohousing design issues (which I admit could be huge -- getting a corporation to let us design what goes on top of their building), does anyone know about the mechanics of such a thing?

How do mixed use buildings work when the housing is owned condos and not rented by the corporation that owns the commercial parts? Perhaps I'm not even framing the question properly, but it's essentially who owns (and controls) what and how?

I suppose it would be similar to Swan's Way in Oakland.

Regan Conley
Urban D.C. Cohousing
Washington D.C.