Nonviolent Communication (NVC) in Cohousing Communities
From: Susan Hyne (susanhynemsn.com)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 15:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
Juva DuBoise responded to a question about NVC in cohousing and invited her
neighbors to add comments?.

As a newer member of CoHo Cohousing in Corvallis, Oregon, I?ve been
impressed with the use of NVC in community meetings.  In one of the first
meetings I attended, the community was tackling a difficult issue.  The
?needs? behind the various options were explored (identifying needs is a key
component of NVC), which opened up more discussion.  As the needs were
shared, peoples? attitudes shifted.  There was no rush to a solution or
campaigning to recruit folks to a specific point of view.  What impressed me
most was how respectfully people listened to each other.

In NVC, the symbol for compassionate (nonviolent) communication is the
giraffe because it has the largest heart of any land animal on earth.  The
giraffe?s long neck provides a far-reaching, overall perspective and also
suggests a willingness to ?stick your neck out? and take risks.

Living in a ?giraffe community? will be an interesting experience.

Susan Hyne
http://www.cohousing-corvallis.com/index.shtml