Re: Leisurely Analytical Thinking
From: Liz (lizsignificant.com)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:57:44 -0700 (PDT)
The need for leisurely analytical thinking is crucial for making wise decisions.

Oh my. This is a topic we have been discussing for some time.
How do we make wise decisions when time is NOT allowed. And how do we figure out if time IS actually allowed?

The specific context is building and permitting decisions.
One example was unit design: we had a weekend to design units, we feel rushed. But waiting to have the designs done might delay applying for the comprehensive permit, which could delay our project by a building season, and thus cost a great deal of money.

Hypothetical, and even more frustrating is when we find out on Tuesday that the town would like us to adjust our plans in X way. We are expected to present on Thursday. In addition to it being hard to decide if adjusting our plans is a reasonable accommodation, it is hard to figure out if we really NEED to decide quickly, or could we say "we are thinking about it, but haven't decided".

I'd love to hear from other communities how you go about making decisions without leisurely analytical thinking. Or how do you get the time?

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
liz [at] significant.com
508-450-0431