"Second Home" Cohousing Communities
From: gary (garythewoodlandcommunity.com)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
Martin Sheehy and Sharon Villines have responded favorably to my
question about whether there may be a market for "Second Home"
cohousing communities within weekend commuting distance of people's
primary homes, especially if the primary homes are located in urban
areas and the second homes are located in more quiet, natural or rural
settings. I would like to hear from more readers on this topic.

As an advocate of ecologically responsible or "green" development, I
strongly support the development of small, energy efficient homes that
utiliize renewable, recycled or recyclable construction materials
whenever possible and that are located (or sited) in ways that
minimally disrupt the surrounding natural environment.
This approach to development would be particularly important (and easy)
to apply in second home communities of the sort described above. It is
an approach I plan to follow as I explore creating a cohousing
community within The Woodland Community at Lake of the Ozarks in
central Missouri (see "www.thewoodlandcommunity.com")

Let me ask whether readers think that it would be better to experiment
with this special type of cohousing community that involved "existing"
cohousers living in urban areas or with urban residents in general?
Any suggestions about marketing such a second home cohousing community?
 My sense is that developing them in areas within weekend communiting
distance of communities housing major universities would be effective.
What do you think?

Gary A. Storm
Founder
The Woodland Community