Re: Conflicting Values?
From: Eileen McCourt (emccourtcharter.net)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
One of the biggest mistakes that Oak Creek Commons made was to set a low
standard of interior finishes to accommodate those with affordability
concerns (we did not compromise the building envelope).  We offset the
quality problem with options and upgrades which virtually EVERY household
opted into at some level.  The upgrades and options process is very costly.
We lost virtually all the members concerned with affordability as their #1
priority before move-in and the homes were ultimately more costly for those
who did move in.  So, we had a standard of very modest quality, which added
about 10-20K to the cost of each home in terms of upgrades.

We did not skimp as much on quality in the common areas, thankfully, but we
did "value engineer" out many important finishing components of the project,
like fencing, pool cover, exterior trim, play structure, etc.  Leaving these
out was a mistake, since it reduced construction costs but home prices were
not reduced; therefore our development partner reaped the benefits of the
reduced costs which we paid for in our home prices.  Also, and especially in
the fencing and play structure, it cost the community many very contentious
hours of meetings to make agreements on the fencing and play structure, and
even cost us members who moved out within the first year because of the
divisiveness of the amount of time it took to achieve agreements.  Had these
construction items been included as a done deal at move in, we could have
spent our time arguing over more important things (I'm pretty sure living
together requires quite a bit of adjustment from construction, no matter
what the content of the conflict is, at least where I live).  Affordability
is a very tricky tightrope.

--eileen
Eileen McCourt
Oak Creek Commons Cohousing