Re: kitchen design (was kitchen research)
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
We've found our common kitchen very workable for 6 years now, here at RoseWind, Port Townsend Washington. (Much thanks to Mary Kraus, who influenced our choices and design.) My comments on Benjamin's draft:
1.      Domestic vs commercial look
Not entirely home-y look: it's not a residence. We have warm colors on the walls and floor.
2.      Efficiency of the stove comparable to commercialized kitchen but
safety concerns due to the presence of children in the kitchen.
Large enough burners to handle big pots. Good exhaust hood (ours has lights, too). Children not allowed in kitchen, due to many hazards - knives, hot stuff. Not commercial because that kicks in major fire-suppression and insurance consequences. Ours is a 6-burner propane Dacor range. A nice touch we cut out at budget time is a faucet where you can fill a pot while it's ON the stove. Water is heavy.
3.      ...minimizes motion of transporting of
heavy prepared food into the dining area....
Serving counter is between kitchen and dining rm. Convection oven is next to stone-tile serving counter. Little transport.
a.      A new energy renewable technique that converts heat into
electricity.> b.Glass/ surface that cleans itself ...
?????
LOTS MORE: Fridge that can hold large containers/cartons of stuff/big pans, and which doesn't make a lot of noise (if within earshot of meeting, dining areas). Dishwasher that's easy on the back, fast or quiet. Plus a place to hand wash a few dishes, or fragile items. If you might want or need health dept approval (like for someone to make food to sell), all those factors, including sink and drain stuff. Easy access to where everything goes: open shelves, sliding drawer-shelves, well labelled cupboards. Separate storage for cleaning supplies and equipment. Counters with electric outlets for blenders, food processors, mixers. Part of the prep counter where a short or seated person can work. Ventilation, lighting. Flooring (we have real linoleum- Marmoleum- and love it). Clean side for prep and serving, "dirty" side for dirty dishes, pot scrubbing, compost, trash. We get lots of use from our beverage bar in the dining room, near sink, with hot water, small sink, tea, coffee, juice, cups and glasses. Storage for small appliances. Microwave? Toaster? Phone? Pantry? Mop closet? Clock? Details can make a lot of difference. The one piece of portable furniture is a rolling Rubbermaid cart: top shelf has the regularly used (Corelle) dishes, mid level shelf has bins of flatware. We wheel it into kitchen to put clean dishes away, then roll it back to the beginning of the serving counter where it is used at mealtime. The "point of use" principle, with things close to where they are used. Spices, oils, by stove. Drawers in kitchen for towels, pots and pans, measuring and baking supplies, etc.
Drawer on kitchen side of serving counter for serving utensils.
Dining room drawers, under serving counter, for napkins, take-home-leftover containers, table linens. Drawers by beverage bar for tea, coffee filters, corkscrew, water filter parts, etc.
Our web site has some photos of our kitchen: http://www.rosewind.org.
PS We have a house for sale.