Re: Gas stoves and indoor air quality
From: Peg Blum (pegbcambridgecohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
I was also at that meeting with Mark Kelly as Cambridge Cohousing made
the decision whether or not to have gas stoves.  Mark pointed out that
by using a range hood and exhaust fan, the hazard would be diminished.
He further stated that it is difficult to assure that all people
using gas stoves in private kitchens, would automatically turn on the
fan when stove being used.  He agreed that in the common kitchen, it
would be more likely that cook teams would use the exhaust fan.  As a
result, we agreed to use only electric stoves in our units, but did
provide for a gas stove in the common kitchen.  I have observed that
some meal teams use the fans (yes, we have 2) regularly while others
choose not to because of the noise.  Maybe it's time for another
tutorial on the hazards of gas.

Peg
Cambridge Cohousing
http://cambridgecohousing.org