Re: Pathways [was Spending Extra Money]
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 08:01:46 -0700 (PDT)

Sharon Villines wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Mac Thomson wrote:
>
>> As amateur developers, we're not entirely sure
>>that everything we built will continue to serve us as planned (like
>>the eco-friendly pathways that are disintegrating at an alarming
>>rate).
>
> Can you say more about this? I'm ready to start researching
> replacements for our concrete sidewalks (also disintegrating at an
> alarming rate) and would like to know what you have discovered.
>
> I would also like to hear from others on this.
>
> Sharon
> -----
> Sharon Villines
> Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
> http://www.takomavillage.org

Stone, such as sandstone, seems to last a long time.  I live in an area
where sandstone was put in by WPA, during the Depression, and is none
the worse for wear.  The only problems I ever see are around trees where
the sandstone is cracked after the tree roots grow up underneath.

How are the concrete sidwalks wearing out?  The only thing I've ever
seen destroy concrete is salt, put down in winter to melt snow.  If
that's the case, don't use salt.  Shovel the snow and put down sand for
traction.  Salt destroys shoes and plants also.

--
As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.