Site Finances and NYS question
From: Sharilyn Rediess (sredies1rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 05:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,

I am new to this list and am part of a newly forming Rochester NY Cohousing
group looking into developing on an urban infill site (among other
possibilities for urban cohousing).

I have two questions:

First, can someone tell me whether the purchase of land is ultimately rolled
into the unit cost, or is that a separate upfront cost that is never
reflected in the mortgages residents take out for their units.  I've read
the usual books and websites and can't quite tell how that works (or maybe
the books are clear on this but I am hoping that it is eventually rolled
into the mortgage and am looking for an answer I like ;).

Second, I am wondering why there are so few cohousing groups in NY state and
wonder if there are regulatory issues in NY that make it more difficult.  NY
has a rep for having old and often oppressive regulation on a number of
things, so I'm wondering if that is a factor.  I'm aware of EcoVillage in
Ithaca, but on the Cohousing Members list there are only three other groups
listed (and NY is a big state).  Our city has a history of being home to
lots of progressive groups and yet as far as I am aware there was only one
cohousing group and it fizzled out a while ago.  Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Shari Rediess

As yet un-named Rochester Cohousing Group