Re: Marketing and Outreach at the Green Festival Washington DC
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 05:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:55 PM, Ann Zabaldo wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people who knew something
about cohousing but even more surprised at the people who didn't know
anything and wanted to learn!  We had two big displays at the front
of the booth.  One was a map of DE, PA, MD, DC VA & NC with numbered
dots showing where member communities are located along w/ a column
listing the communities keyed to the numbered dots.  A second big
display had a written series of characteristics of cohousing.  People
loved both displays and actually stopped to READ the characteristics.

This was truly a wonderful booth and the map of communities made it look like we had soooo many communities. On a map, of course, we look like we are all just next door to each other! But the overall impression is "this can be done."

The charts and maps were done in color on the computer and very professional. People from forming communities stood around and handed out flyers, engaging passers by in conversation -- Would you be interested in coming to our open house (or our next meeting)? Great stuff.

Diana Leafe Christian also spoke to a very large, almost filled room even though she was opposite Amy Goodman of NPR. Her book, Creating a Life Together, is the most comprehensive on all aspects of intentional community -- of which cohousing is a major part. Many people raised their hands when she asked if anyone was interested in living in an intentional community. I was the only person in the room who lived in one (or at least the only one to raise my hand). So this is the place to find your people.

There were many other speakers there as well so don't miss the next Green Festival and find people who may be interested in your community.

Our people who attended also came back with renewed vigor over doing more within the community for green practices. We had a big interest when we started but over the years it has waned since there was just so much other work to do and we were tired. Eventually, you have to focus on your day job, but this was a big infusion of hope.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC