Re: Painting Ourselves to Save Money: good idea or bad idea
From: Anne Fleck (soliannacablespeed.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
Wow! I would strongly recommend against this. It will take at least twice as long as you think and you won't like the results. And it will cost more ultimately. Not to mention the frustration when someone drops a can of paint or doesn't show up as scheduled. We tried to do our own plantings to save money and although we got the plants in - eventually - we're dealing with bad spacing and dead plants 5 years out.

I do a lot of painting and I'm good at it. Right now I'm painting the interior of our common workroom - sealing, and top coating the concrete and drywall walls and the floor. Besides all the prep work, I'm letting the primer set for a couple of days before top-coating so it's really dry. This is a slop job (you'll have trim to work around) and it's still going to take 3-4 days to finish a 24'x28'x10' room. (I'm brushing, your professionals will spray).

Bite the bullet and save money elsewhere (bathroom fittings, sink gauge) where it's easy for folks to upgrade later. Enthusiasm doesn't always equate to quality or even completion.
Good luck,
Anne at Jackson Place