Re: Quorum (Board of Directors)
From: Terry (Sarito) Whatley (terry.whatleygmail.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:09:05 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:18:55 -0700
From: "OCCNG11" <normangauss [at] charter.net>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Quorums/Reopening decisions

In California, the Board of Directors is ultimately responsible for any
decisions the community makes.

Our CA HOA board of directors is defined as all the owning households,
so every general meeting is a board meeting.

-sarito (Nevada City Cohousing, Nevada City, CA)

In our CC&R's, there is no quorum because
the only membership meetings recognized are the rigidly formal Annual and
Special Membership Meetings.  These are the specified ways for electing of
board members and making certain financial decisions involving large
amounts
of money, in which case a 75% majority of the entire membership is
necessary
before passing a measure.  All other membership meetings are not
recognized
by State law as legitimate decision-making mediums.  In our case all our
decisions in meetings are sent to the Board for ratification, thus
legitimizing our way of doing things.

In our informal community meetings, we have set a quorum at 14 out of 36
households which works out to about 40%.  We are a Non-Profit Mutual
Benefit
Corporation and must follow the California Corporations code.  Here the
minimum quorum for any decision is 1/3 of the voting block.  Since we use
consensus, it works out to 100% of 40% of the households.

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA