Re: Keeping prospective members
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:15:53 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 17, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Rob Sandelin wrote:

One of the difficulties involved in cohousing development is sometimes
people show up a few times, then just as you think you can count on them, they disappear. It is interesting to me that few developing groups have gone to the trouble of tracking these folks down to see what made them unselect
themselves.

One reason new groups don't do this is that they are overwhelmed with new tasks and trying to figure out what they are doing. While at the same time, if they did this -- followed up on leavers -- they might have more people to do that work and need less recruiting because they might do it better and keep some of these people.

One way to keep from feeling overwhelmed and to be sure this task, following up on the leavers, gets done is to assign someone to it. "This is your job and we value your work in doing this specific task" and expect reports on a regular basis.

Too often a forming group will end up with everyone doing everything -- at least worrying about everything -- and then nothing gets done. Or everything gets done a little bit. Task delegation goes a long way toward accomplishing those tasks.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
http://www.sociocracy.info