Re: Keeping prospective members
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 07:22:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

When Eno Commons was forming (before we had any buildings), we started
having pancake breakfasts on most Saturdays and later, on community dinners on
Tuesday nights and after meetings.  Locations varied from the homes of  members
to restaurants to meeting spaces.  Our outreach group, Eno Commons  Central
(aka Robert and Neal), tried very hard to get every prospective member  to at
least one meal during their visits to us.

The meetings helped us to bond with and retain the members we had, and they
showed our neighborhood spirit and sense of community to prospective  members
in a fun way.

On Rob's first comment about following up with people who leave the group
for other than financial reasons after joining, I tend to believe the only
reason that is true is that they came to feel that the group was coming
together
in a way that didn't match with what they wanted or needed or expected. They
may  tell you other things, and some of those things may be "fixable", but the
real  reason is a fundamental social mismatch of some sort.  After two  rounds
of this cohousing start-up thing, I have come to believe in honoring most
folks judgment. Just my two cents.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing (and previously of Eno Commons)
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where I was cooking in the common kitchen when a green-roof tour came
through, so I got to be cohousing Exhibit A.  Folks piled into  the kitchen to
ask
questions about meals and kitchen design and cooking for  vegans.  Here's to
marketing to those with related  interests!"