Re: Senior's needs? (was Achieving age diversity)
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:05:50 -0800 (PST)
Dear Lia,

Here's the thing. Putting my son first and foremost did not mean that I didn't
teach him how to live in harmony with others.  Believe it or not, we had
candlelit civilized dinners every night.  And, you know what, we almost NEVER
were alone, because his friends practically clawed their way into invitations
to participate in our gentle rituals.

[snip]

Is it possible that kids don't really want to run wild and trample on the
rights and needs of others?  That is my humble experience, and I wonder if it
has been explored in co-housing communities, or whether the ideal of "freedom"
has pre-empted exploration into what children really need.  It sure isn't the
constrictive milieu of the 50's, but I wonder if there isn't something more
nurtuing we can offer children that involves empathy, sensitivity, and
responsiveness to beauty, ritual, and sensitivity.  There are times to shed
restictions and simply explore the riches of the universe with abandon, but are
community meals one of those experiences?

I would love to hear more. What did you do specifically (in addition to candlelight) to create dinner as a beautiful, gentle ritual?

Thanks,

--Tree

Tree Bressen
1680 Walnut St.