Re: Seeking info about women sharing cohousing units
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:33:48 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 10, 2007, at 1:09 PM, eileen mccourt wrote:

I am very interested in this concept, especially in a larger home with a group of women; one kitchen with separate private baths and bedroom suites is ideal, but I am also willing to consider sharing a bath if it is well
appointed and large enough to accommodate the stuff for two people.

I once lived in a Zen Buddhist monastery that was an old converted retreat center. An amazingly convenient feature was a sink in my room. While I shared a bath (during retreats with many, many people), the sink made life very livable.

I also shared a house with another woman for many years and what made it workable was that we had separate bedrooms, sitting rooms, and baths. I had visiting children and she had many guests, all of whom would stay for days at a time. We shared the living room, dining room, kitchen, and laundry/workshop areas. Having the private sitting room meant we could avoid the other's guests and be alone without being confined to the bedroom.

If I were designing such a house I would put a sink in each bedroom, separate the toilet from the bath/shower, and either make the bedrooms large enough to be sitting rooms or have two small rooms per person, and then a large living dining and kitchen area.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC