Rural cohousing opportunity in Colfax, CA
From: Charlene McNamara (charlene.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
I'm posting this for a friend who is unable to get access to the list
right now. Any questions, please contact Cinnie: cpie55 [at] earthlink.net

COHOUSING OPPORTUNITY IN COLFAX, CALIFORNIA
SITE WALK FRIDAY , MARCH 16 AT 2 PM
            and SUNDAY, MARCH 18 AT 10:30 AM
RSVP to Cinnie Blair 530-432-1605

Colfax is located midway between Sacramento and Reno on I-80.
This site is just 5 minutes to I-80 and just half a mile from town.

That means walking distance to:
~ An Amtrak train station
~ A public library with high speed internet access
~ A post office
~ Cafes, antique shops, groceries, video rentals, and a theatre
~ A weekly Farmer's Market in the summer
~ The Little League ball field
~ Public swimming pool
~ Public elementary and high schools

Access to other locations gauged in driving time:
~ Live Oak Waldorf school, 10 minutes
~ Rollins Lake, 10 minutes
~ Auburn, 15 minutes
~ Sacramento, 45 minutes
~ Ski resorts, 30 minutes
~ Grass Valley, 25 minutes
~ Nevada City, 30 minutes
~ Yuba River, 45 minutes

The site is 48 acres in 2 parcels sold together. One parcel, of 21
acres, has been developed and was previously a small Waldorf school.
Existing structures and infrastructure include: a large farm house
capable of being used for an interim Common House, a guest house, 4
large brand new class rooms, several other buildings for storage,
office, or temporary living space, an outdoor kitchen and dining area,
a campground in the pines with 2 toilets and electricity, a large
organic garden, a small producing orchard, barns and livestock
corrals, and irrigation. Well and city water, high speed internet.

The other parcel, of 27 acres, is undeveloped. Zoned for one house per
acre. Secondary access road approved. Feasability for cohousing is
excellent according to Chuck Durrett of The Cohousing Company.  The
entire property has a park-like feel, with many trees and meadows. The
school site is an top of a flat ridge with the other parcel sloping
off  south and west.

Our vision is three-fold: a residential community, an educational
center, and a small farm.

Residential community: Common House plus 16 to 24  half acre lots Each
lot would be owned individually with an equal share of the common
facilities and land. The Home Owners Association would lease space to
a non-profit educational organization and a farm. Private office space
and space for cottage industry is also immediately available for rent.

Educational center: Lifesong, an educational non-profit organization,
offering education for a cooperative culture. Inspired by Waldorf
education and Anthroposophy and Nonviolent Communication (NVC),
serving children and adults with classes, workshops, homeschool
support, summer camps, after school programs all aimed at facilitating
the transition from a culture based on Domination to a culture based
on Cooperation.

Farm: a small Biodynamic dairy and farm providing food for as many as
possible and offering educational experiences which include classes,
festivals, school visits, summer camps and family farm stays. The farm
will operate under the umbrella of the educational non-profit.

The estimated cost will be $200 K per undeveloped lot and includes use
of all common land and facilities. We will hold meetings to inform and
decide the financial details with those who are genuinely interested
after the site walk.

SITE WALK FRIDAY , MARCH 16 AT 2 PM (until 4pm)
RSVP to Cinnie Blair 530-432-1605
(Can't make it? Call and set up a time.)

Community Statements

Our Vision
We envision a world of life-enriching communities – places of hope and
promise, reverence for all of life, and awakening to fully conscious
human endeavor.

Our Mission
To build a rural, residential neighborhood dedicated to protecting the
environment, preserving farmland, and creating a safe place for our
families to learn and grow through cooperation.

Guiding Principles
We are committed to utilizing sustainable living skills and principles
for our design and development, whenever practical, while stewarding
our land for future generations.
We are committed to life-enriching relationships with our selves and
others. We support personal reflection, practice compassionate
communication, and take responsibility for our own emotional
well-being.

We respect the dignity of all people of any age, gender, race, sexual
orientation, ability, financial resources, cultural background, or
spiritual practice.

We practice participatory, egalitarian decision-making, embracing
conflict as a creative part of community life. We agree to seek
mutually agreeable solutions through clear communication.

We recognize the importance of creative expression in a sustainable
lifestyle. Our motto is "Equal opportunity to self-realize".
We are a community where everyone is teacher and everyone is student,
supporting each other's learning in every way possible.

We acknowledge spiritual guidance, and we honor and accept each
member's unique sense of spiritual connection.

--
Charlene McNamara
char [at] lene.com