RE Mentally Ill community neighbor
From: Mary English (Mary.Englishhsc.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Seeking advice re mentally ill community member
> I'm seeking help from people who may have dealt with having a
> mentally ill person living in their community.

Please excuse a several day delay in the response. This topic brought back old
wounds  that took me several days to go back though.

I had a friend who was manic-depressive and was very psychotic and paranoid
during some phases.  I too believed that I could be helpful and supportive
despite the fact that she refused to take medication. (As a nurse I certain
should have known better.)

Eventually, I too, became  in her mind, "one of them, one of the people out to
get her," and had a period of anxiety about my safety and the safety of my
animals, until she moved to another state.

I can only reiterate to others, you are not trained, equipped or able to handle
what you are going to be faced with eventually.  You will feel sorrow, regret,
sadness and many other emotions, but you will not, without professional help, I
repeat, NOT be able to do a thing yourself, except postpone the persons
eventual need to be institutionalized, and professionally treated.
Meanwhile you may put yourself and your family at risk.

Mary English, Wasatch Commons