Re: Seeking input on compassionate HOA calculation
From: mrbouchez06 (mrbouchez06aol.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:21:18 -0800 (PST)
I reread Michael's posting as well as the many postings in  response.   It's
great that people have pointed out that there are  many ways to participate
and be active in a co-housing community.  However,  in my reading of it,
Michael
was not saying that everyone has to do the  same work; he was pointing out
that some people don't participate at all and  thus miss a main value of
cohousing - interaction with other  residents/participants.  Common sense would
dictate that people that have a  particular disability could not necessarily do
certain jobs but as was  discussed, everyone has some strength/value to offer.
Sometimes we just  have to dig a bit to find what it is that we can offer to
the common good.

At a workshop for Asset-Based Community Development, the speaker stressed
that we often focus on the weaknesses of a community or a particular  person/
this particular gentleman had a serious heart condition and he said he  could
be
looked at as John with a heart problem.  Or he could be viewed as  John who
is an incredible speaker/writer/interviewer/researcher/exhorter  etc.  If each
resident in co-housing or community in general was willing to  give to the
best of his/her ability in whatever that capacity is, then I think  Michael's
well-founded point would be addressed.

tricia