Generating income to offset dues
From: O3C11N6G (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:22:14 -0800 (PST)
In my community, we are looking at ways to generate income to
offset the cost of maintaining our assets.
Charging for exclusive individual use of portions of the common
area is one potential source of income.

Right now we charge a fee for reserved spaces in our public
parking carport which gives us $3000 per year of revenue.

Asking for donations for use of our guest rooms has been
suggested.  We sometimes have private parties and meetings of
political and environmental groups for which donations are
appreciated.

If we charged for the use of these facilities, we might have to be
inspected, get permits, and be regulated as a business.  However,
asking for donations gets us out of the business category and
saves us a lot of hassle with the authorities.

I am interested to learn of strategies in other cohousing
communities for reducing dues based on income generation.

Norm Gauss