Re: Owning units in cohousing communities as tenants
From: tom shea (sheamusonyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:02:31 -0800 (PST)
I have been researching how to start up a cohousing community and share this
concern of high prices.  I think the general consensus out there is that living
in cohousing can reduce day to day cost of living expenses.  But I cannot move
on from the fact that if a person can afford a $200,000+ home as well as
monthly dues associated with the particular community than that person may not
need assistance with day to day expenses.  I realize this is a very broad
generalization and every persons situation is different and needs to be
respected.  My underlying questions are:
Can a cohousing community be constructed and structured such that the purchase
price for say a 2 or 3 bedroom home is under $200,000 while including some
principles of green design?

Can people without the means to purchase expensive homes be included in the
community without using HUD $?

Does anyone have experience structuring parts of a community for people who
posses unique skills (farmers for example) to move in first as a renter (to
units built by the financier) then paying for the unit overtime with "sweat
equity" with the goal of becoming a full owner at some point?

Thanks

Tom Shea
Green Haven (to be built in VT)
802-917-1525