Re: Rental Cohousing?
From: David Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:30:06 -0800 (PST)
    Interesting in the immediate comparison it conjures with the community land
trust approach, which strives to maintain affordability in perpetuity by
bifurcating ownership of the land (held by the nonprofit trust) and virtual
ownership (very long-term lease) of the improvements by residents who must meet
financial eligibility criteria and accept limitations on the price if they sell
their interest.
    A CLT, of course, is bound by its articles of incorporation and by-laws to
maintain this arrangement. What would keep your developer from altering the
relationship if something else turned out to be more profitable? How long would
he be bound by it? And is the whole idea to have it market-based, with no
provision for subsidized low-income units? If so, I don't see that prospective
residents would prefer that to the more "traditional" (am I really saying
that?) cohousing model in which they benefit from ownership and don't become an
ongoing profit center for a landlord.
    David Mandel, Sacramento

Zev Paiss <zpaiss [at] comcast.net> wrote:  PLEASE, TRIM YOUR TAILS. That is,
minimize quoted material
 on replies.  See  http://justcomm.org/jc-faq.htm#Q8

Howdy,

I am working with a Tampa, FL developer who is interested in long-
term rental cohousing. His corporation would own and "manage" the
homes.  What do you all think?

Zev

Zev Paiss
Abraham Paiss & Associates
Building Sustainable Communities Since 1992
1460 Quince Ave. #102
Boulder, CO 80304
303-413-8066
www.AbrahamPaiss.com