Re: RFPs and developers
From: Louis-H. Campagna (lhcampagnahotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:28:00 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

I am riveted to my screen reading the different opinions about RFPs and
developers, since this is precisely the issue debated in my project.  This was
the backstage question to my recent posting: "Purchasing: Competition?".  I
find it fascinating--and reassuring--to observe how these issues pop up
independently in many projects.

I am not a successful business person, just a regular Joe.  So I value opinions
on how to conduct business successfully in the real world, adapted to the
particularities of a 'non-conventional' kind of real estate development.

I hear both sides of the debate.  I hear Sharon's and Craig's input about
establishing friendly business relationships, in particular with your
developer.  I hear James input about rigour and precision.  And I hear John
working on a middle ground.

I don't like the touchy-feely approach to business relationships, I'm no good
at that.  I guess I personally come more from James point of view. I like clear
contracts in writing and I expect and demand diligence and good faith from my
business partners, or else I look somewhere else.  Yet I very much hear and
understand the other side of the debate, that too much emphasis on "getting it
in writing" can actually lead to waste, maladaptation to needs,
dissatisfaction, and loosing out on good business opportunities.

Is there a creative middle ground here?  Is there any way to include both
approaches?  What is the 'Right' way to conduct practical business in our
specific domain?

Maybe developing good business relationships is like looking for a mate: you
start out dating, keeping things light, positive, and friendly.  But at some
point, things need to get serious and you want to write up a clear pre-nuptial
agreement so that you minimize the risk of either side feeling cheated if the
marriage doesn't work out.

Who has experience with satisfying both needs expressed in their project group:
a need to establish friendly, efficient relationships with business partners,
and a need for thought-out, 'in writing', understandings about who does what,
when, how, and at what cost, etc.?

What is the 'Best' way to manage business relationships, so as to get our
project built--but to get it built on time, within budget, and in accordance to
our dreams, wishes, and true needs?

Louis-H. Campagna
Cohabitat Québec (project)
Quebec City