Re: Affordable Cohousing
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:34:22 -0700 (PDT)
I believe this is another area where cohousing is more forward thinking than other types of ownership.

When I was condo president in South Florida a long ... long time ago, I did a reserve analysis and pointed out that our condo dues should be increased and this increase should be directed towards reserves so we can avoid a future assessments. This went over like a lead balloon.

Many of the owners rented their units out and did what they could to control expenses. I suppose that they were hoping they would sell their unit before any future assessment and the next owner would get stuck with the tab.

I hope others take the view that it is better to pay a little bit more today (higher monthly fees) than have a big bill tomorrow (assessment).

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
 http://www.enocommons.org
 Durham, NC
where after 10 years living together, we have not had a need for an assessment.

Quoting Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>:

The one thing I wanted to add is that the a to keeping communities
affordable is good budgeting and the establishment of regular savings
(called "reserves") for large replacement and maintenance expenses so
no one is hit with an extra assessment.

Not all households, particularly not if they qualify for affordable
housing, will have personal savings sufficient to withstand a sudden
bill for $800 as my daughter recently got in her building (not
cohousing).