Re: Affordable Cohousing
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:40:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let folks know we just got our prices, and are now able to take applications via our lottery agent, SEB. you are not required to be a MA resident. See http://www.s-e-b.com/lottery/forsale.php or call 617.876.5919 ext 3

Prices:
    * $136,500 for a 1 bedroom home
    * $149,500 for a 2 bedroom home
    * $170,600 for a 3 bedroom home

See you at the conference!

        - catya

Catya Belfer-Shevett wrote:
Hi everyone,

Over the years I've been on this list, there has been a LOT of talk about affordable cohousing. So, I'm excited to share that there is affordable cohousing in Massachusetts available at Sawyer Hill (http://www.sawyerhill.org), aka Mosaic Commons and Camelot Cohousing.

For people who know Massachusetts law, we're working under chapter 40b. (See http://www.mosaic-commons.org/40b)

We won't get final pricing for these units from the Department of Housing and Community Development for another month or so, but it looks like we will have:

1 bedroom units at around $135k
2 bedroom units at around $155k
3 bedroom units at around $170k

The affordable units are awarded by lottery to people who qualify. To qualify, you have to make 80% or less of the median income for the area, have $50k or less in assets (there are some exceptions), and you can't have owned a house in the last three years unless you are over 55.

Income limits as of 2007 are:
   * $46,300 for a single person
   * $52,950 for a 2 person household
   * $59,550 for a 3 person household
   * $66,150 for a 4 person household

Preference is given to folks who live in the town we're building in, but otherwise anyone in the country is on equal footing for the lottery - we would LOVE to have more people committed to community join us!

Please feel free to pass this along to people you know who might be interested - it's a rare and exciting opportunity, and we hope folks will jump on it :)

For information about the communities, see our websites:
- http://www.sawyerhill.org
- http://www.mosaic-commons.org
- http://www.camelotcohousing.com

To apply for the lottery and get more specific information about the affordable component, see http://www.s-e-b.com/lottery/forsale.php or call 617.876.5919 ext 3