Re: Emergency decisions???
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:31:10 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon, Again you have made very good sense out of what could be a dicey situation-and costly.

Sharon Villines wrote:
On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Kristen Simmons wrote:

Has your group made any emergency decisions, during formation or after
move-in? What were they? What was your group's resolution process? Did it
work well?

An emergency is generally one in which life and limb are in danger. In cohousing, "life and limb" also means "budget" and "property."

Most of our emergency decisions came in the first year after move in and involved property or budget. Our building is sitting on a spring so we have very active sump pumps. During a very heavy rain, 24 hours of it, all the pumps failed. The people tending the pumps needed a quick decision because they wanted to buy 10 or 12 pumps so they would have back ups -- our pumps had been very unreliable but we hadn't had time to research better ones.

Shortly after move-in, the city inspector showed up and said we had to have our elevator inspected or he would close it down immediately. And the city showed up to say that our storm drain had to be cleaned or we would get some enormous fine. As I remember the inspectors gave us the names of three companies and we called to see who could come first.

In construction phase, there were lots of quick decisions to be made and some may feel like emergencies because one person(s) is faced with making a decision, or reversing a decision, for another person. The developer or the contractor will usually define these as emergencies and will say, "I need a decision within a specified time period or there will be additional costs because ...."

"You have three hours to decide if you want these faucets or those -- both are an extra charge. The one you chose is not available and we have the plumbers already scheduled to install them." It is often impractical to call 30 or 40 households to find out what they want, or might want, or think is a good idea. Someone has to take a chance for everyone. Often we let the developer make these decisions because no one else wanted to take this responsibility and live with the complaints for 20 years. Or to authorize the cost overrun. With well over 100 faucets to be installed this could add up.

In this period, or in others when you know decisions will be required, reminding people to watch their email may be helpful.

Email makes many urgent decisions easier, particularly if you make time limits clear. "If I don't hear otherwise in 24 hours [or 2 days or whatever], I [or the team/board] will...."

1. State the problem
2. Present your solution
3. Set a deadline for responses

If you ask for ideas and don't give a deadline, people put off responding and then forget (and complain later). If you don't present a clear solution, they may respond with ideas that don't address the problem. This creates a back and forth that is often diverting. Odd comments put a flag on the play unnecessarily, but once they are made you can't ignore them.

On drafts of team minutes, for example, I find that saying, "Unless I hear from you in 24 hours I will distribute these to the membership." This gets fast comments -- or when there are no comments, which there are usually not, I don't have to keep track of who has responded and who has not.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC