Disabled folks in your community?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
As Raines said there is lots on this in the archives, but I wanted to say again what I've said before -- everyone is disabled at some point and probably several times. Life is much easier if you plan your community around people needing no stairs or electric doors, etc.

The people who most use our elevator are not those who have walking problems but those with children -- it's faster, they are in stroller, they are carrying too much stuff. The electric front door was a huge boon to those pushing strollers, with grocery carts, on crutches, carrying boxes, etc. Wide doors are a real convenience and narrow doors seem very strange when you get used to wide doors.

Thinking this way will help everyone agree to pay for features that many think will benefit only a few. It is much more likely that everyone will benefit.

There is also the issue of visiting. If your whole complex is accessible, everyone can visit everyone else.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC