Re: Cohousing and local neighborhood
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
As others who have responded, our community MEMBERS are very involved in the larger neighborhood and community (and world), but as individuals rather than all of RoseWind Cohousing (Port Townsend WA). Between us, we must belong to just about every liberal/environmental/ social justice/etc group in town. Members may sponsor events at our common house for a group in which they participate, so we have had events for Green Party, Land Trust, Food Coop, Bicycle Association, Quakers, Peace Movement, Democrats, Environmental Footprint, Audubon, Katrina sister-city project, and ever so many more. In this way we do provide a meeting place for the larger community, though always with a member present and responsible.

We have also had a few meetings with emergency-preparedness folks from beyond our immediate cohousing site, as we are right in a regular residential area. It seemed natural that one of the sub-groups for the neighborhood emergency preparedness work would be the cohousing project (where we already have internal plans for supplies and support in the event of an earthquake, long time without electricity, long time without City water supply, severe winter storm, etc.) Our larger neighborhood also includes another intentional community, the Port Townsend EcoVillage, so they too would be a sub-group in the larger emergency planning picture.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
www.rosewind.org